In 1951, some members of the West Sayville Christian Reformed Church saw the challenge of this rapidly developing area and started a Sunday School for the East Islip and Great River area. Initially, children and youth were transported by buses to West Sayville, but conviction grew that if the work was to continue, it should be done in the immediate area. The challenge of developing this area led to the calling and placing of a CRC Home Missionary on site. Rev. Fred Bultman began his ministry in the community in November 1957.
The first worship service was held on January 5, 1958. This officially marked the beginning of the Christian Reformed Church of East Islip. The first five months, the worship services were held at the Democratic Club Building on Laurel Avenue. In June of 1958, the place of worship was moved to 277 E. Main St., where a former tavern building was renovated and served as the meeting place.
In May of 1959, the Executive Board for the CRC Home Missions approved the purchase of our present property. Plans for the construction of a new parsonage were also approved. Late in 1961, the property was cleared and construction began.
Our church was able to have our first service where our current church campus is today on Montauk Highway and Harwood Avenue, on April 22, 1962, Easter Sunday. The church officially organized on March 25, 1964 with Classis Hackensack of the CRC (Christian Reformed Church in North America).
With various programs like SWIM, CRCEI continued to grow throughout the years. We give thanks to God for Rev. Arkema and Rev. Vredeveld for their leadership. Under the leadership of Rev. Likkel, the church continued to expand and find their footing on the south shores of Long Island (approximately a 70 minute train ride from New York City).
The church is also grateful to the Lord for the leadership of Rev. Kelder, Rev. Davies, Rev. Verhulst, Rev. Bieber, and Rev. Bentley. As the church experienced many ups and downs, the focus of serving our Lord and our community here in the Town of Islip has not changed.
Today, under the new leadership of Rev. Lee, Christ Community continues to strive to be a beacon of light in our community, town, county, state, nation and the world. We invite you to come join us as we seek to worship Christ alone, as one community.